Saturday, August 01, 2009

Running in Soup

Another week of low mileage for this wanna-be ultra marathoner! A wonderful spasm in my neck presented itself on Monday morning and hung until until, well, it really hasn't left yet.

Thankfully, a few sessions using my pink rubber ball and some stretching seems to have it under control, so I felt like I could get a run in today.

Not sure what the problem was with my legs today. They felt dead. I've been off for a week. They should have felt rested, and yet, I couldn't pick them up. Cut two miles off the run just to get home.

Last weekend I felt very similar. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe it is running alone that is getting to me. I tend to push myself harder when I am running with others, but I am on a quest to learn how to run solo. That will be my most difficult challenge as a face my first 100 miler. Aside from the obvious physical demands.

I find that I am a bit frustrated with myself. Ever since my DNF at Hell's Hills, I've been in a slump. Thought I was ok with everything surrounding that event and I don't regret my decision to DNF, but I have noticed that the motivation is lacking, the excuses are getting more and more frequent to not run.

Not sure where this will lead me, but for now, I will just keep slugging through and try to come out of this funk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not unusual for a year 'round runner to hit a funk. The fact that the dog days of summer are upon us doesn't help either.

I'd say set an easy short term goal to get yourself back in your groove.

Woodlands Runner said...

It must be contagious. My 18 miler today turned into a 10 mile survival slog.

Richard said...

You are being too hard on yourself my friend, this heat and humidity sucks the life out of all of us out there. I felt like I trudged my way to finish out my miles today. We will all be better off--and faster--as soon as the cooler weather returns.

David said...

It's really catching! I increased my long run to 11 miles Sunday morn, seemed like I was running in water, sweated buckets, felt trashed...90% humidity probably had something to do with it.

TX Runner Mom said...

I've had my share of the runner's funk too, Karen. Why is it that when I take some time off, it's so much harder to get going again? :-) Hang in there!