Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Two fer Tuesday

Yesterday I woke up at 5 to go for a run but the rain started and it sounded pretty heavy. I fell back to sleep until 6... still raining. Slept till 7, still raining. I forced myself to get up and realized how horrible I felt. The allergies were making their presence known and they were working themselves into my chest for my usual bout of bronchitis.

I tried to ignore it, but the lack of voice and coughing fits were sealing the deal for me. I dressed and headed to the Y for a 30 min. run on the dreadmill. Pace was slow but steady.

Today I headed into the Chiropractor and presented my situation to him. He said he might be able to help me. At this point I am willing to try anything just to avoid being sick and missing more running.

He did some adjusting and some kinesiology then gave me some powerful immunity vitamin/herbal boosters to take today. By the time I left his office I could breathe. Tonight, I was able to run 2 miles on the track at about a 10:30 pace. Not much to some people, but to me, this was a miracle. I have been plagued with rounds of bronchitis for 16 years. I get it at least twice a year, sometimes more. Never, never, never, have I ever been able to get over this on my own. I always need antibiotics and inhalers, sometimes even steroids. It stinks. Really, it does.

Tonight I have a bit of sniffle and a slight cough, but the heavy feeling in my chest is gone. The body aches are gone. And not one tiny dose of antibiotics. I am amazed.

We'll see how I feel in the morning, but I am just about sold on this Chiropractic stuff!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Karen,

I don't know if you go to the Y anymore, but I just finished a clinic on how to use the Pilates Reformer machine and now am going to classes. It is simply wonderful. It is like a combo of strenght, stretching and after a class I feel like I have been to the chiropractor! It strecthes the spine, lenghtens, and the machine moves you in ways you can't on your own.

Just an idea. I also see our Y offers a Pilates for Runners class.
If I was running I would take it as I get all cruched up when I run.. just fyi in case your Y offers it (if you still go there..)

cindy