What a great day for a race! Lem and I headed out this morning to help at the Huntsville Half Marathon.
It was a bit chilly this morning and I couldn't help but say a big "Thank you" to the man upstairs for great temps for my running friends.
We were placed at Ave I and 14th Street to help direct the runners around the prison yard. It was a bit spooky when we first got there. Lem had never seen a prison before nor a guard tower complete with an armed guard. I convinced her that we were completely safe and had personal body guards watching over us.
There was an abandoned building on the opposite side of the street which apparently had a very bad smell coming from it. Lem and I couldn't smell it thanks to being on the good side of the downwind, however, I saw many runners covering their mouths and noses as they passed by. It must have been bad!
The runners were so awesome! I loved seeing the determination, the smiles, the effort that they had. Runner #1 had the appropriate bib number, #1. I don't know yet if he won overall, but I would bet that he did. He was so fast! Of course Adrienne was certainly amazing and a true inspiration to watch! That is one quick lady!! Lem was totally impressed! I wonder if she'll get the running bug again.
Pete was burning up the road and I believe he broke his own personal PR! Way to go, Pete!
I saw so many great folks today. In no certain order, Jon, Bill, Evan, Debbie, Misty, Joe M., Carlos O., Norman, Lavonne, and of course, Ken. I know I am leaving someone out, so accept my apologies if I have.
I was certainly renewed with the fever to run watching the race today! I can't wait to get back to business, but I am not going to rush it. As much as I would like to start next week, I am going to obey the rules and hold off at least one more week before I start up again. I have had lots of time to re-evaluate my goals and I am looking forward to setting up a new schedule of races that reflect quality running instead of quantity.
Lem and I had so much fun today. It was a great experience for both of us and we even got to have a nice breakfast afterwards. In a house with many siblings, having one on one time is hard to come by, so I treasure these moments very much.
Thank you to all who put the race together and those who ran it. Your spirit is amazing!
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It was great to meet you. A big THANKS to you and Lem for volunteering your time. We appreciate you!
Thank you so much for volunteering. You and your daughter did a great job. It was awesome meeting you!
Helping out is always great medicine when we cannot run ourselves.
Hey K, I was off 6 full weeks with my foot. I was worried about starting up again last week, but the doc cleared me and so far so good. hope you are running soon!
thanks for being out there.
It was great seeing you! You were a welcome sight on the course! Thanks for showing up and helping out with the fantastic event....kudos!
it's my new goal to come down there and run a race! it may take a long time but that's more time to train, right?
Post a Comment