Friday, February 08, 2008

Slacker week

I rested on Monday this week because I had run both Saturday and Sunday. This week was the start and finish of my swimming career. Actually, not the complete end, but definitely gave me something to think about.

Let's face it. I have the wimpiest arms on the face of the planet. I have not swam since about 6th grade, (ya know, before the wheel), and I show up at a Master's Conditioning class. Who did I think I was?!? I arrived a bit early to scope things out. The pool was full of tri-athletes. Thank goodness I wasn't with them, these guys were seriously serious!

My class begins to arrive and I begin to realize, this must be the second wave of tri-athletes. They were just as serious as the first bunch. I asked the coach if he thought I should try this class or re-consider myself for the mom and tot sessions.

He inquired to my level of fitness and I stupidly mentioned that I had just run my first marathon. Sometimes I should really keep my mouth shut...

He did not feel that his class would be too much for me and encouraged me to stay. I jumped in the pool and began trying to swim. After the warm-up, we began some laps with specific direction from the coach. I have no idea what we were doing, I just followed along. After about 15 mins, I got out. The coach stopped me and asked what I was doing. I told him how tough this was for me and he strongly suggested I get back into the pool for at least another 20 - 30 mins. He was quite insistent, so I did. I'll admit, it did seem to get a bit easier for a little while, but I distinctly remember at one point thinking that I could willingly let myself go under the water and it would be ok...
The other swimmers were so strong. I felt like I was holding up the pack. The Coach told me to slow down. Honestly, I didn't realize that there was pacing in swimming...doh!

I kept telling myself that I had trained for and finished a marathon. I could finish an hour in the pool! I finished the class, went home and attempted to dress myself. My arms were like spaghetti. I had little control over them and I prepared myself for several days of pain.

Amazingly, I have had no upper extremity arm pain. I have, however, had a sharp pain in the mid-calf region all week. I'm afraid to run on it so I have not run at all since Sunday. I am planning to run tomorrow, but I can't decide whether I'll run in Huntsville with the trail group or the 5K with extra miles tacked on so I can stay local.

I am concerned about running on it and risking an injury before TIR. It seems better today after icing and deep massage, but it is still there.

I did receive my running legs for TIR yesterday. I'll be running 11, 23, and 32. It's getting more exciting as we get closer to the start. I'm looking forward to the experience. Then I'll focus on Hog's Hunt.

On Monday, I'll be back at swimming class. The less intense, learn how to do strokes properly, class. Same coach. Hopefully, I will be more on my level.

2 comments:

Woodlands Runner said...

It is amazing how much upper body strength you need to swim well. Funny about letting yourself go and drown.... I've had those feelings sometimes. You should add a twice weekly weight session to your schedule if you can. Anyway, that's why I like swimming (as an exercise only) because I feel I'm balancing myself out as running is mostly all below the waist.

Barbara said...

I just can't get into swimming. I used to love it when I was younger but right now at least it's not my thing.

I back up what Holden says about weights though. And pushups in particular - you know I think they're the answer to everything!