I'm weird. In fact, dh even called me a tree-hugger on Sunday, which is really funny since it was Earth Day and he accidentally planted a tree!
As a conservative, Catholic, mom of 6, tree-hugging is not something I would think I would have any time to do, but as I get older, I realize more and more the importance of our environment, the importance of balance in all things, including nature.
But even more, with my new-found love of running, I am truly crossing over into uncharted territory, even for me.
It started with the running, then the running on trails. Thanks to Dirt Runner, there's no going back to the old me. I doubt I'll ever hit the mileage that he does, but you never know!
Then this past Lenten season, I made the decision to try something different. I'd give up red meat, pork, sweets, and all drinks except water. I thought it would be very difficult, impossible really, but a funny thing happened on my Lenten journey. I started feeling really good! My allergies were getting better. The amount of medication I was needing was decreasing, and another benefit... I dropped about 10 lbs!
So Easter has come and gone. I had pretty much made up my mind that I wouldn't go back to the meat and pork. I've indulged in sugar again, and I hate how I feel. I've even had a few cups of coffee (decaf) and again, I didn't feel that great after drinking it.
So, I am faced with a decision. Do I go for the vegetarian life-style, possibly even Vegan at some point? I feel compelled to do so, but I know that my family is not game for this. I don't want to force them to feel that they need to change their eating habits, though I think for health reasons, it would be wonderful. The baby tends to eat like me anyway, so he's young enough to follow the way of eating without much difficulty.
The other kids are open to eating some of what I am eating, but they love burgers and they LOVE Bacon! So do I to be honest, but I just don't want to go back to eating that way.
I'm looking for some good cook books, blogs, websites, etc., that give easy, not too far out there recipes that will hold my interest, are yummy, and won't kill my grocery budget because of the need to buy obscure items that I've never heard of, never mind pay through the nose for.
I've found a few cook books that I am requesting from the library. I hope to find a happy balance that won't totally turn off my family or make them consider institutionalizing me. (said as a joke here...)
I suppose the other problem here is that our family is a family full of foodies. We love to eat. We celebrate everything with great food and better company. Many of my family loves to cook. In fact, we even have a few chefs in the fold. How do I still partake in our family traditions without insulting them by not eating foods that they have so beautifully and lovingly prepared?
Many questions, probably most without immediate answers. I suppose just one step at a time, incorporating prayer and patience, and a bit of courage thrown in for good measure.
If any of you have experiences with this, please comment or email me with your ideas and/or suggestions.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I got engaged on Earth Day...years ago.
I'm not much help on the vegan issue. I just ate scrambled eggs and summer sausage for breakfast. And it was sooo good!
It sounds like you feel so much better without it so I say go for it. Different people respond better to different foods and you definitely sound like a great candidate for being a vegetarian.
I'll be praying for you, that God will give you wisdom and insight into how best to take care of your body and your children's bodies.
And if you find a cookbook that meets that description, do blog about it cause I would LOVE to find one like that too!!
Post a Comment