Thursday, November 22, 2007

Run Thru the Woods

What a absolutely beautiful morning for a Thanksgiving Day Run!

Lem, Andy, and I left the house at 6:45 am. The temps were about 40 degrees. Someone turned on the cold weather last night. Since it was 81 here yesterday, we were all a bit chilled this morning.

Lem ran the 1 mile and did great. She came in at 10:05. We were all so proud of her. There were some pretty quick kiddos out there, many of them coming in at 6 and 7 min paces. Amazing!

Andy and I lined up to start our run. We saw several folks we knew and even more we didn't. It was a sea of people, but the more the better. Body heat can be a good thing sometimes.

The run was lots of fun, well organized, and just an all-around great community event. It is a nice way to start off the day that we choose to show our thankfulness as it is quite difficult to deny our blessings as we look around us.

I stayed with Andy for the first 2.5 miles. He was doing a great job hanging in there, but I knew he was going to need to slow it down a bit and I felt too good to dial back.

He did an awesome job of finishing especially considering it's been a very long time since he has run and he did not train at all for this 5 miler. I don't know how people do that. I don't think I ever could.

The very best part of the day was nearing the finish line. I saw Mark's face and then Lem's. It was so awesome! The day was made perfect in that moment!

Total Miles: 5.12 per Garmin Total time: 46:40 per Garmin
Avg HR: 174 Weight 125

Mile 1: 9:55
Mile 2: 9:22
Mile 3: 9:09
Mile 4: 8:48
Mile 5: 8:28
mile .12: 6:59 pace

The official results has me at 50th for my age group. I think I was 1:33 behind gun time leaving my official pace at 9:22/mile.

I was very happy with my run today. I wasn't running to race, just to run.

Compared to last year, which I had only been running about 6 weeks when I ran it...

Avg HR 190!!
Total Time: 51:10
Avg Pace 9:50
Weight: 145.00

I only remember that I felt like I was going to die several times in that 5 miles. Rick was running with me, so he was able to push me when I needed it. The way I felt at the end of today...I could go another 5 if not more. What a difference some training can make.

I plan to run the Conroe run tomorrow, then the RTW on Saturday. Saturday could get ugly with a 80% chance of rain and a HIGH of 49... maybe we'll have a lower turn out for the RTW?

Off to make some turkey! May you all have a truly blessed Thanksgiving day! Thank you for being a part of my life.

3 comments:

Shital said...

Karen - You are truly an inspiration! After watching you, my husband and countless other friends run - I feel like I want to be out there next year!!! Congratulations!
Oh - Did you stay for the results or did you find them online somewhere?
Shital

Barbara said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Great day for a run - the weather was awesome (I didn't run the local race here but it was great outside anyway).

Hope the rest of the day was just as nice!

WalkSports.com said...

Congratulations.

I had a good day overall and you left me standing still.

I'm encouraged with how I did. I was really expecting to be in the 52-53 range and came in with a 49:03 chip.

Conroe tomorrow!