Friday, November 07, 2008

Not-so-active Recovery

In running news, I've had 3 fairly decent runs this week. The fracture appears to be healed, however, with each run the psoas muscle appears to go into a spasm that takes awhile to work out. This is concerning because I believe that my stress fracture was partly caused by the psoas spasm that I couldn't control in the first place.

I've tried numerous stretches with little relief. The best I can do is return to the massage therapist, but honestly, I can't afford to pay 80.00 after each run! There must be something else I can do. She has shown me some stretches and I will try them. I will admit, it is frustrating.

I bought some new shoes to see if that helps as well. I invested in a pair of Mizuno Alchemy 8s. They feel wonderful and during the runs, I didn't feel them at all. A good thing!

I plan to run tomorrow with Fit. It is the last run before San Antonio. I will not be running their mileage, but my own. Hopefully, next week, as they run San Antonio, I can be somewhat helpful here at the Ten for Texas.

I restarted the 100 Push-up challenge. This time I was able to start at the mid-level rather than the 1st one. Definitely progress from my first attempt at the challenge. I finished week 1 today. It was tough to get the last set of 12 in, but I did it. Total push-ups today, 45.

3 comments:

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Good to hear! Welcome back! I don't know if this will help or not, but acefitness.org has a link somewhere with exercises per muscle group. I am certified through that org. Also...

Thanks for the kind words!

Barbara said...

I hope you were able to get a run in today - it was perfect weather (as far as I'm concerned).

I hope the new shoes work out for you!

Tiggs said...

ok so I don't know exactly where the spasm is...but maybe this will help. I get ITBS problems when my hip gets tight, so I have a hard foam roller and instead of just rolling my leg section along the ITB, I roll my booty too. I sit on it at an angle and roll the hip and the side of my butt. It hurts and looks funny, but it works....