My Thanksgiving was lived out in such a surreal way yesterday. After so many weeks (seemed like years!) of not running, I was able to put my first "race" in the books. Of course, I was only racing against myself, not the true winners of the race.
I was able to run with Mike, Boo's godfather, which made the event even better. I know many people like to run races alone so that they can "run their own race", and if I was in top shape, I may have decided to do that as well, but yesterday, just being able to run, to run in my town surrounded by so many people that I know, (and even more that I don't know), was a real gift.
I will admit, over the last few weeks, I have seriously wondered if I would ever really be able to run again. I had to weigh the benefit over the cost. I would hurt so much after the runs I did do, that it impacted how I lived the rest of my daily life. Playing with the kids, walking around, sleeping, etc., were all painful as a result of running. My attempts to be "healthy" were not amounting to an overall health that I could accept.
For whatever reason, last weekend when I ran in Huntsville, all of my pains disappeared. Maybe it was because I ran on dirt, maybe it was just finally time to be healed, or maybe it was something bigger than myself that intervened. All I know is that I was in a fair amount of discomfort before even beginning the run and at the end of the run, all pain was gone and has not come back.
I decided to run yesterday not really to race, but to test the waters on concrete. I really expected to have the pain return, but to my great joy, it has not. And I am so grateful for that.
This is the 3rd time I have run this race. The first time, I had only been running about 6 weeks. I was insane to even consider running it, but I ran it on pure emotion. My mom had passed away the year prior to that race and I ran it in her honor (as I do all of my races). I recall many years prior to beginning running, I had envied people who could run that race. I never believed that it would be something that I could ever do. When Rick convinced me that I could run it and he would help me, I believed him. He did help me cross that finish line and I will always cherish that moment.
Last year was the second year I ran it. In spite of some nasty weather and very cold temps, I was able to run that race with a dear friend (now soon-to-be brother-in-law as of yesterday!) and finished at a pace that I was happy with.
Two weeks ago, I registered for the race not really knowing if I could run it. I knew I could probably finish the thing, but how much discomfort I would be in afterward was my primary concern. I don't mind the typical muscle aches, but stress fractures and muscle spasms that last for weeks at a time are not my idea of fun.
Running yesterday was a gift and I understand this. Why should I be able to run, to do something that brings me such personal joy? Others in this life have so many struggles and my issue is whether or not I will be running? I don't want to go to deep here, but I'm sure you can see where this leads me when I enter that classroom of silence.
I finished the race with my son's Godfather and enjoyed every step (well, ok, not the ones coming back over the 45 overpass...) My spirit was renewed and I felt reconnected with myself.
11 comments:
Great to hear your running health is getting better! Happy Thanksgiving.
Yah! I am glad the run went well for you and Mike. Congrats to MaryChris! (At least that is what I am guessing?!?!)
I'm always racing against my past self of the same distance. You should have seen the lively conversation I was having with '06 Holden 5 Miler and how he was taunting me during the last mile. Sheesh.
What's up with that?
She's baaack! Great post!
Absolutely fabulous!
It sounds like someone's prayers were answered. Great job on the race.
That is great news! I will pray that it keeps up for you too!
Welcome "home"!
Glad to hear your return to racing went so well! Way to go!
Good for you! How long of a race was it?
Hey Laura,
It was a 5 miler. I can't believe I didn't mention that in my post!!
Post a Comment