Saturday, February 24, 2007

2/24/07

Bad news: I've been up since 3 am, couldn't sleep thinking about the 5K. I can't figure this out. It's not like I haven't run it before! It's not like I don't run at least 3 miles several times a week. For whatever reason, this seems to be a pattern, I can't sleep before a formal run or race.

Good news: In spite of my not sleeping very well, I was committed to getting my butt to the run anyways!

Bad news: The closer it got to run time, the more it began to rain.

Good news: I still went!

Bad news: There weren't many folks that showed up today. In fact, there were only 15. Guess which place I came in? Yep, 15th!!! Last place. I was a bit miffed at myself, but then I remembered that I am not doing this to be the fastest. I'm not doing this to win prizes or pats on the back or recognition of any kind. I am doing this for the kids! I am doing this for my health.

Good news: As I was running and second guessing why I was there, I realized that most people did NOT come to the run today. Only the dedicated runners who would run no matter what the conditions. Therefore, they probably are much faster than I'll ever be. The fact that I could still see them while I trailed behind meant that I was hanging in there. Then I looked down at the Garmin, marked my 1st mile and realized that I beat my goal of 8:45/mile, hitting 8:37 for the first mile. Personal goals. This is about personal goals.

I ran the rest of the run thinking of my mom. Thinking of Christ. What He suffered for us. What she suffered until her death. As my HR rose and my breath shortened and I felt like giving in to the uncomfortable feelings, I called on them both to give me strength to get through this. Instantly, I felt a surge of energy. A second wind. My 2nd mile was a bit slower than the first at 9:04/mile. Not what I was hoping, but better than the last time I ran this run.

I became very winded in the last mile, having to walk for about a minute to catch my breath. I came in at 9:33 for my last mile. I wonder what it would have been if I hadn't walked!

Overall, I came in at a 9:01 pace! My best time ever. So, yes, I came in Last, but I came in with my best!

5 comments:

Hey Zeus said...

You should be proud of the PR. Not to mention coming in last place. I've tried on 3 different occasions to come in last place at RTW and have yet to accomplish that goal. So you're one up on me...for now.

Barbara said...

Karen, I'd be happy with those splits. They're faster miles than I ran this morning (and I started from my front door).

K said...

Rick,
I thought of you and your quest to come in last! Nice to see you out there on L. Woodlands this morning!

Barbara,

I am very happy. I've really had a number of "illnesses" since starting to run, so I can't complain too much about where I am at for as little as I have put in time wise.

Pony and Petey said...

WAY TO GO!!! Those are awesome splits...good for you for sticking with it and battling it out. I'm proud of you!

Everyone I talked to after the Conoco this morning said their times were 1-3 minutes slower than usual because of the humid, hot conditions (for running). So you did GREAT on a challenging day!

WalkSports.com said...

Karen,

I have the all-time record for last place finishes at RTW! You have about 8 more to go to tie me.

I broke the record on Christmas Day '04, allowing Waverly to finish ahead of me - guaranteeing me the new record.

Jon