Friday, June 27, 2008

My first swim lesson...

at least as an adult!

Foo joined me as he is out of TKD right now with a possible meniscus tear. More on that later.

We were up and out early as Bean had to be at the church to head off on the first of her summer retreats. Foo was regretting his decision to accompany me to the lesson citing his lack of sleep, (7 hours!) I had no pity for him.

The lesson went very well! I was so impressed with the instructor, I almost felt okay about the ungodly amount of money I paid for the lessons!

Foo's stroke was dramatically improved by the end of the lesson and I could see a slight glimmer of hope in his eye that he might find another activity besides TKD to keep him busy. She also showed him how to run in the water, something I am going to try as well on those days that I might have a few aches and pains.

I re-learned how to do the flippy-turny thingy again, and got some great input on my breathing, stroke, and kicking.

I also learned the backstroke, something I had never really learned before. The instructor, Amber, is really wanting me to do a triathlon. I stood my ground though and told her..."maybe in 2009, I need to get my 50 miler done first!" I didn't mention the 100 miler looming in the back of my mind.

All and all, one hour in the pool appears to have been quite fruitful. I have a nice workout for the week. The biggest problem will be actually getting there.

Tomorrow is RTW. Not sure if I'll run or be the support staff. I'll have to make the call in the morning. I don't want to push the hip/back thing I felt yesterday.

4 comments:

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Are you another runner "gently resisting" triathlons?! I'm kicking it around, but training takes a bunch of time!

Tiggs said...

come on K, do a tri! you'll be hooked!!

Evan Guy said...

Proper swim instruction is a great thing! My swim instructor got me all straightened out, stuff that I had no idea that I was or wasn't doing....Professional instruction ROCKS! Sheesh, let's go do a triathlon THIS summer!! Piece of cake!

TX Runner Mom said...

I need to get the contact info for your instructor...I desparately need some help with the swimming! I do aspire to try a tri.