I couldn't believe my eyes last night when I read that Western States has been cancelled. I agree that the race director has made the best decision for the safety of all, but as a runner, I can't imagine the heartbreak that these incredible athletes are feeling right now.
To go from "50% self-directed to the point of obsession training and planning" to nothing is just unthinkable.
Of course we are all wondering what will happen for these runners now. Will the race folks let them run next year? And if they do, will the participants really want to go through the training process again?
I suppose this could happen to any race at any time and that we should always be ready for something like this.
It doesn't make it any easier.
I have so admired watching Rick train for this race, and I know in my heart of hearts that he would have done very well. My thoughts are with you, Dirt Runner! If you want to run 100 miles this weekend, I can do 25 with you!
Is there anyone else out there wanting to run some distances this weekend?
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Man, I was looking so forward to the race. next year when I put in for it, I wonder if this will effect that lottery process.
After reading the notice about the cancelation, this part was interesting...
In the coming days, we will announce details regarding entries for next year's race, which will be determined in a fair and equitable manner. It should be noted that per our race rules, all race entries are non-refundable.
Post a Comment