Barbara asked if I could post my zone percentages. I received these last week at Woodlands Fit from Kim Hager who is sponsored by Timex. There are some major differences here, Barbara. This bears further investigation.
Here are Barbara's zones:
Zone 1: 60-70%
Zone 2: 71- 80%
Zone 3: 81-85%
Zone 4: 86-90%
Zone 5: 91-100%
Here are the ones Kim/Timex suggest:
Zone 1: 50 - 60% (light exercise)
Zone 2: 60-70% (recovery run)
Zone 3: 70-80% (long run)
Zone 4: 80-90% (tempo run)
Zone 5: 90-100% (long interval pace)
Using the Timex zones, I am usually in Zone 4 or 5 most of the time. Today, running as slowly as I did, I still managed to spend a majority of the run at 78% of my HR which would be officially in Zone 3, yet my Garmin shows only 13 mins in Zone 3, the rest in Zone 4. And referring to Barbara's zones I'd be in Zone 2.
Going on perceived exertion, I would say that I felt fine for today's run and really expected to see a lower HR.
I am totally confused! Of to do some more research...
Saturday, September 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
One thing I forgot to mention is my %'s are based on heart rate reserve, not based on max heart rate.
In other words, my max heart rate is 192 (give or take). Most days my resting heart rate is 48-51, so my heart rate reserve is 192 less 50, so 142.
85% of 142 is 171, and so forth. Does that make sense?
Post a Comment