Ok, it's official, I am NOT a fan of the tempo run. I've tried, really I have, I've tried to like it. Even just a little bit, but to no avail. I don't. Perhaps if I could find someone to run it with I'd enjoy it more, but for now... Yuck.
For some reason, each time I get out to run on Thursdays, I feel like my legs are attached incorrectly. I can barely feel a good stride at a slow pace, never mind 15 - 20 mins straight of a tempo pace. And I am still not convinced that I have the correct tempo pace for me. According to my last 5K and runner's world calculator, my pace should be 9:30. Sometimes this feels way to fast, other times way to slow. All in all, I am sure all of this inconsistency and self-doubting is from lack of experience. Maybe by the time I hit 50 I'll have it figured out, or not.
Yesterday's run was going to be tough because I am battling some stomach thing again. Not sure where it's coming from, but I've had enough of it.
I decided that I would run slow for 10 mins, then tempo for 15, then cool down for 10. That would hit my 35 min. run. The first 10 mins felt like 30. My legs were made of lead and my stamina was nil. I felt better picking the pace up a bit, but could not hold it for a steady 15 mins. I decided to break the 15 mins into 3 intervals of tempo pace followed by 90 secs. of recovery.
Here's what it looked like. I'm not sure that this qualifies as a tempo run, but it's what I did...
Warm up: 10 mins/11:22 pace
5:40/9:12 pace
90 sec recovery
4:51/9:29 pace
90 sec recovery
4:50/9:28 pace
Cool down: 10 mins/10:29 pace
AVG HR 83% (zone 3, but it felt like much higher)
There, see. I stink. It's no secret. I just don't have what it takes YET to put together 15 mins of tempo. Soon, though...I hope!
Friday, September 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Excellent workout!
Not really a tempo with the rest intervals....but you are still working at threshold pace so you are gaining the same benefit.
I think it might help you if you run a specific section of road during the faster segment. Have your warm up end near Shadowbend and Lake Woodlands and then run the 1-1/2 miles to Cochran’s Crossing at the faster pace, then a recovery jog back home.(eventually work up to a down and back for 3 miles over the next 6 weeks or so)
I find that having a specific distance helps me. I goes against the "run for time" routine but I think it'll help you feel better about the workout having something to focus on.
I'm not a big fan either. I give myself an "out" each week to do an interval run if I so choose. I could do an interval run every day of the week and just skip all these Tuesday/Thursday plans.
Thanks, Bill. I will do this next week for sure. It sounds more "doable" to me as I CC has been a target point for me in the past.
Sometimes I think I might try to do the tempo run on a different day and see if it goes better, but honestly, I think this is all mental for me
Post a Comment