Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday Track

After a brief warm up of about a mile, I ventured into my first real track workout. I thought it felt great!

Coach Bill is always so kind to explain things to me, and tonight was no exception. I may not completely understand everything, but I know he does, and he'll guide me the right way.

I wasn't sure how to log tonight's workout, so I thought I would just hit the lap feature for every 200 I did.

The goal was 8 X 200. I made the 8 and felt pretty good at the end. I forgot to hit the lap for the first 3 - 200's, so my total time for those, including my slower 100's was 4:48.

The next 5 were as follows:

#4 - 6:59 pace
#5 - 7:00 pace
#6 - 7:30 pace
#7 - 7:12 pace
#8 - 7:00 pace

My avg. HR was 193 (zone 5 - so I was over the suggested zone 4 by a few points)

Coach Bill instructed us to keep our pace a bit slower than what our time trials came out to be last week. My pace was 8:00, so I should have run a bit slower, I suppose. But I honestly felt great at this pace. I don't know if I could have held that pace for 800's though.

One really neat surprise was that I saw a former neighbor who came out to the track with the TNT group. His wife passed away about 2 years ago from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, leaving 3 beautiful little girls and an adoring husband. Amber was very young. I don't think she was even 30. She was a fitness fanatic and just glowed with life. Seeing Brad out there tonight in honor of her was truly inspirational. I hope to see him more often.

One not so nice surprise was the purple toe I discovered once I removed my shoes tonight! Ouch! It has been hurting the last 2 or 3 runs, but now it has an actual bruise under the nail. I guess I need to read up on how that happens and how I can prevent it in the future. I have the most sensitive feet and toes. Oh, and I am a big baby when it comes to pain. waa, waa, waa....

3 comments:

Bill D said...

You are a real runner now with the purple toe. You did great tonight. We add the clock next week whem Kim's group merges with us.

Tiggs said...

black toe! you are a RUNNER!!!!!

hehehe!

Hrunner said...

K - normally a black toe indicates that you do not have enough room in your shoe between the top of your big toe and front of the shoe (should be at least the size of your thumb) - or you need to trim your nails back. By the way, Ten for Texas may now be difficult given I tore my calf playing tennis last night (still having trouble walking)....