Saturday, September 08, 2007

Woodlands Fit - Tenth Week

I had a pretty cruddy week as far as trying to get my runs in. Putting tile in the house ourselves (I am not doing anything, Mark's doing the work) through me off on Monday. Tuesday we did a track work out which was great, but lacking in mileage. Thursday, I didn't finish up my work day until after 7:30 and I was completely exhausted. I attempted a run Friday morning, knowing I had to keep it easy, and it was a hard run to do. The humidity seemed extremely high and my lungs weren't loving it at all.

Today's run felt pretty good, but by mile 6.5, I was feeling it. I pressed on and was at about mile 8 when I started to feel energy again. I almost ran out of hydration, but thankfully, was able to find a water station to grab a few drops.

Everyone seemed to think today's run was a bit extreme, so I felt better that it wasn't just me. I keep telling myself that cooler weather will come soon and I will be happy that I have put myself through this training.

I did monitor my RHR this week. One reason I skipped the Monday run was because the RHR was at 70. My normal is 54. I thought it best to take another day off to help keep the RHR in check.

By Tuesday, it was down to 54, so obviously, my efforts paid off, but the down side was that I missed a day of running. I'm not sure that I can miss too many runs without ill effects on the rest of my training.

My plan for this week will have me getting my runs in before 7 am. This way, I can't let the day's activities get in the way of my training. I am also hoping to begin some weight training this week, but that may be a bit too ambitious right now. I am doing some basic isotonic/isometric exercises at home, but it isn't enough. I just hate going to the gym.

By the way, Howard, I missed seeing you today, but you are doing the right thing taking this time to heal. You can start training again once that calf heals. Cindy told me that you may try to run the 10 for Texas. I'll look forward to seeing you then!

Total Miles: 10.06
Total Time: 1:40:59
Avg. HR: 175

Avg Pace: 10:02

Had a Gu before I started out.

Mile 1: 9:54
Mile 2: 9:24
Mile 3: 9:37 Had a gu
Mile 4: 10:20
Mile 5: 10:21
Mile 6: 10:31 Another gu, walk break, I was really feeling the run at this point.
Mile 7: 10:39
Mile 8: 9:51
Mile 9: 10:06 Should have had a gu, but forgot to bring another one.
Mile 10+: 9:41


Total Miles for the Week: 14 miles (much less than I had planned, only 67% of my goal.)

Weight 125.0

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Karen, don't worry about distance on Tuesday runs. It's about % of effort. Those days will get progressively longer, but the point is to push yourself toward the anaerobic state for short bursts and then recover. I.e., teaching your body to find those bursts of energy when you need them.

Our water station guy claims we have 5 weeks to go before cooler temps. I hope he's wrong.

Hrunner said...

K - looks like you had a great run despite the conditions. See you at Ten for Tx.