My day started a bit earlier than I anticipated thanks to the local howling hounds which began their beckoning at about 3 am. I couldn't fall back to sleep after that so I spent the remainder of the time tossing and turning and of course thinking. Thinking too much about silly stuff. Like, can I really expect to run a marathon? Maybe I should commit to the 1/2 marathon instead. A much more doable goal. But I really want to be able to run the Sunmart 50K, so I should stick with the full marathon...etc, etc, etc.
From that line of thinking I move quickly into setting up our homeschooling curriculum, what to order, what to plan for the kiddos, and finally into the business issues. Are we growing the way we should? Where best to advertise? The thoughts just keep coming and I keep trying to shut the mind off, but I have yet to find the switch. I've even considered getting out of the bed and getting my run in at that time! But being dark and not too long past the bar closing time, I think it would probably not be the safest decision I've ever made.
Today did mark the official training start for me. I attended the Woodlands Fit meeting totally ill-prepared. I wasn't quite sure if today would be a running day or more of a seminar/registration day. So I dressed for a run, but left everything else at home. No hat, no music, no watch, no hr monitor. Of course, today was a running day; 3 miles. I didn't know how I would do considering the last few runs I've had and the trouble I've had with the humidity. Thankfully, I met a few very nice folks who were kind enough to encourage me along and I made was able to hang in there the full 3 miles. When I thought I was going to have to stop, there was a water station that I didn't even see. The man I was running with said, "Hey, grab a drink and then we'll go!" And we did. (Thanks Richard!) Two other ladies I met, Rebecca (another first timer) and Sara (a veteran with 5 marathons under her belt). I also saw my favorite doctor's wife who is running the half marathon in Disney in January. It was great to see a familiar face!
The day wouldn't have been complete without seeing Coach Bill. He is always so encouraging and positive. Thanks for that, Coach!
I registered in the Yellow group (9 - 10 min/mile) with the understanding that I can switch to the red group if necessary (10-12 min/mile).
Since I left my watch at home, I am not really sure of my time, but I think I saw 30:03, which would put me at the 10:01/mile mark. I know I have run faster than this, but with the humidity, it was really everything I could do to finish this.
Of course the few extra pounds that my vacation and poor diet has afforded me the past few weeks does not help either.
I am looking forward to the training because I think it will give me more accountability and more knowledge, as well as maybe a few folks to run with from time to time.
Happy Running!!
Saturday, July 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Am I losing my mind, or did you change the color of your blog?
Sounds like the first day of training went well! In case you aren't aware, on their website, you can also see the entire fall schedule. Personally that helps me see which weekends are the most crucial to be there, when the races are, etc.
Don't even begin to think about your pace until we get through the Houston summer. Just getting in the miles for the next 2-3 months is the idea - building the base. You'll be amazed at how your pace improves (and you did fine BTW!) once the temps cool off a bit.
Great job Karen!!
Post a Comment