Friday, August 17, 2007

Isn't today Thursday?

The week has flown by again, so much so, that only running I did yesterday was when I ran out of time! My run didn't happen between the business of the day and the intermittent Tropical Storm conditions.

I headed out this morning for a mild tempo run of 35 mins.

Total Time: 41:14
Avg Pace 10:19
Total Mileage: 4.0

The thing I can't understand is that my warm up came in at about an 11:00 pace, the "tempo" part of my run, I struggle to keep under 10:00 (9:52, 9:42, 9:52) and I needed to take 2 short walk breaks. During my "cool down" looking at my watch, I was under 9 mins?!?! My "cool-down" pace included a few mins of walking at the end and I still came in at a 9:49 pace. Obviously, I need to figure out how to do these runs and more importantly, what my body should feel like at different paces. I felt like I was working harder during the tempo portion of my run, but my cool down was faster, yet felt easier. I don't get it.

What did I see on my run today? I love watching the birds, the squirrels, and other things of nature. Today I saw a few mockingbirds, some gorgeous trees, oh, and what's that? A man, urninating, next to the beautiful tree! Thank you Mr. Road Worker. That was pleasant. Surely you didn't mean for me to see you there... DORK!

And then I love to take in the lovely fragrances of the different plants as I run by. Usually I have a hard time identifying the different scents, but today, no problem... I can identify smoking marijuana anywhere! YUCK! I didn't see anyone, but I definitely smelled it. And it was next to the same crew of road workers as I was running back in.

Ahh...The Woodlands, A true Hometown!

3 comments:

Bill D said...

It'll take a while to get the feel for different paces. Great job with the workout! If I don't get off on some crazy tangent during the clinic tomorrow I'll also cover hills and tempo runs.

Hey Zeus said...

You can run with me and I'll show you some good tempo runs that will help in December and January. You need to start making friends with pain.

Barbara said...

Definitely slow down your cool down, so you'll have more time for the peeing men and pot smokers.

I'm confused by Dean. Are we about to get hit with really bad weather? 'Cause I'm thinking we had enough rain already.