
No real hills today, but some huge personal hills. Getting up for a run on only 3 hours of sleep was the first hill.
Deciding to not use my inhaler was the 2nd hill.
Deciding that I needed to actually USE my inhaler was hill #3 (at mile 3).
I thought that trying to run without using my inhaler might help with the whole HR thing. During my run, I felt like I was working harder than usual. The humidity seemed to be smothering me as I ran. I kept checking the HR and found that I WAS in fact working harder. My pace was slower, but my heart was working harder. At mile 3, I began to think that perhaps I should go ahead and use the inhaler to see if my heart rate would come down a bit. As it happens, it did. And I didn't feel like I was working so hard.
So my theory about the inhaler increasing my HR is true, but it doesn't increase it as much as not using it. Now, how to train properly using the HR method. I think I need more guidance with this.
Total Miles: 3.75
Total Time: 40:18
Avg Pace: 10:43
Avg Heart Rate; 170 - 77% (Zone 4)
Mile 1: 10:31
Mile 2: 11:17
Mile 3: 10:44 (inhaler used)
Mile .76: 7:46/10:12 pace (inhaler made a difference)
Barbara, the dogs, all 3 of them, live in the backyard at night. I'm not sure about during the day as I don't hear too much from them. I just can't believe that the family doesn't hear their own dogs. If mine starts even for a moment, I correct her immediately. It's not the dogs' fault that the owners are ignorant. Not too mention inconsiderate. These dogs are older puppies, not quite a year yet. And why anyone would get three at one time only to have them stay in the back yard I will never understand...
***Edited to add this in***
I forgot to mention the other reason my HR jumped up today. As I was running the paths this morning, (concrete paths), I saw the weirdest stick. I spied the stick and thought to myself, "Boy, that stick could pass for a snake!" Then I realized, IT WAS A SNAKE! I think it was a Kingsnake, but I can't say for sure. When I screamed, the snake jumped back showing me that I scared it more than it scared me. After I realized how loud I screamed, I had to look around to see if anyone saw me. Thankfully, no one did. But I suppose it doesn't matter now, since I've just shared this with the whole world.
2 comments:
I was on a conference call yesterday (Tuesday) at 4:30 which is when we had a really bad lightning storm pass through. I was heading up the call so I couldn't put myself on mute when it struck so close I thought it hit the house.
I'm thinking there's no shrieking quite as loud as a Barbara Boone Long 'N Loud Shriek.
My boss said it was okay to mute my line after that! LOL!
Here's my guess on the inhaler - and trust me that's all it is. I wonder if your body has adapted to having the inhaler ahead of time.
Is your pulmonologist a runner, or does he/she have any suggestions? I sure wouldn't not use it if I needed it, even for a few minutes.
That's why I don't run at Huntsville State Park when it is warm. Snakes.
Post a Comment