Had the pleasure of seeing Dr. DirtRunner today at his "office"
He evaluated my gait and diagnosed that I have probably been in the wrong shoe for quite some time. That would explain a few things. I knew the shoe was not perfect when I first got into it, but I was sold some orthotics that I thought would help. Obviously not.
Currently, I am dealing with a hurt calf. So I will not be pushing it too much, but I am also not ready yet to go on complete rest again...
Along with a very pretty pair of these
, I bought a thing called a Stick. Here I am, in The Woods, yet I am having to buy a stinkin' stick... go figure. Honestly, it really does a nice job of massaging those tight calves I'm dealing with right now.
I didn't think I'd be able to make the designated run tonight of 35 mins, but I did. I seemed to warm up slowly, but once I was warm, the calf felt a bit better and as evidenced by my splits, my performance was better. Or maybe it was those pretty new shoes. I have happy memories of running around my dad after getting new tennis shoes proclaiming, "See, Daddy!? I can run faster now!!" Maybe there is something to that!
I am going to rest the leg for two days and then run on Friday. I'll be popping in the Pilates until then and riding the bike with the kids.
Ran 35 mins. Total Miles: 3.40 Avg. Mile 10:21
Splits
Mile 1: 11:37
Mile 2: 10:26
Mile 3: 9:27
Mile .39: 8:58
Edited to add: I've increased my H2O intake. I didn't realize how very little I was drinking. Now I think I am up to 85 ounces a day and I feel better. Although for some reason, my hands seem drier. I am supposed to start wearing this amphipod belt and I really don't want to. It seems so cumbersome. I'll probably just carry some water with me this weekend (only a 4 mile run), but I know that I'll have to do something else next week and every week thereafter. The hand held bottles are nice, but I rubbed a raw spot on my hand and as you can see, I am a baby when it comes to discomfort... LOL
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
K - I stumbled onto your blog when googling The Woodlands Fit. I'm having the same calf problem. Ruth said her trainer recommends pedialyte. I drank some last night and was able to finish a run this morning (25 min). I think the Icy/Hot I applied also helped but probably masked the problem. I'm pretty sore this afternoon. Hope to see you Sat Morning. Hrunner (a.k.a. Howard).
Hi Howard!
Glad you stopped by! I will definitely see you on Saturday. Maybe we can bring up the back of the pack together!
I wear Kayanos too - love 'em (when I'm not testing shoes for their competitor). I really like my stick; I bought it a couple of years ago and it really helps when my muscles are sore.
On the amphipod, it only took me a few times to get used to wearing it. Now I don't even notice that I have it on.
I *LOVE* the stick. Can't run w/o it....it hurts but helps my tight IT bands!
Post a Comment