Friday, August 15, 2008

OK, Joe, Let's Do This Thing!

As JD knows better than I, what does one do when they can't run? They think about ways to run...

Some of you may remember my post about Stephanie Johnson and her Tri coming up on Sept. 7th. I've been hemming and hawing about whether or not I could do it. I know I could handle the bike and the run, it's the dang swimming. Let me just admit it here... IT FREAKS ME OUT! I'M SCARED TO SWIM! I've had lessons, I swim fine, I just can't get further than about 50 yards without feeling like my lungs are going to explode. I guess I'm not really afraid to swim, I'm afraid of not breathing. Maybe this has some relation to my own drowning when I was 2 years old, I don't know. I've always been a good swimmer, but never a confident one. I was even a swim instructor for young kids when I was a teen. I am not afraid of water. I am not afraid to learn new strokes. It's the whole breathing thing. I like the rhythm of breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out over the the breathe in, hold your breath til you think you might die then quickly try to catch a breath complete with a gulp of pool water and repeat. And don't forget to move fast through the water!!

Then, one of my student's families told me that "The Stef" was sold out. I leapt for joy! I'm so happy that the response has been so positive and that the race is a success. And of course, I WAS happy that I didn't have to worry about doing the race now. I mean afterall, it is sold out...

Then my inner voice got me in a quiet room and started on me... big time! "You wimp! How can you look at yourself in the mirror? (yes, I was in the bathroom) Did Stephanie have a choice to fight her cancer or not? Does Kelly? Does Greg have the choice of whether or not to accept his MS? Does Hans get to choose whether or not he'll pick up his cancer today? Wuss! Don't you hate cancer? Do you hate it more than swimming? You creep! You have a CHOICE to swim or not to swim..."

So, here's the deal. I have a choice. I can choose to swim this thing or not. I choose to swim. Because I can. Because others can't. On Sept. 7th, I will be swimming 200 yards, biking 6 miles, and running 2 in honor of Stephanie Johnson and all those everyday heroes that have fought or are currently fighting the good fight. I will send my money to the family just as though I registered for "The Stef".

The website does have the option to race as a Phantom racer, and I think that is a good thing. For some strange reason, I feel called to do this completely independently. I don't know why, but that's how it is going to be at this point.

If anyone is interested in joining me or another fellow blogger, Brother Joe, let us know. We'd love the company, even if it is just in spirit.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You guys are awesome. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

WalkSports.com said...

Make sure before the swim you ask Joe if he has his chip on .. ;)

There's a story that goes with it and it is one of the funniest in Blogger history!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck. I will now refer to you as the Phantom. Hopefully you have some special super power!

El Oso Furioso said...

No, Jon, my Tri will NOT be chip timed.

WAY TO GO K!!!
Remember, breath when your head is above water, and not a second before. Personally, I prefer the 4 stroke pattern (breath on the left during a right stroke, left stroke, right, left, breath) and switch to the 2 stroke pattern when I get tired. None of that holding my breath 'till i need to breath garbage, it's every 4 strokes whether I need it or not.